OFF: More list history trivia...

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jun 26 13:36:25 EDT 1996

Stephen Swann writes helpfully:

> The list started in September of 1990.
>
> The server that died wasn't the University of Buffalo server.  I'd
> left the University of Buffalo, and given over control of the list to
> a pair of co-moderators: because Ben had a great "resume", while I
> had what I thought was a good friendship with Billy Barron.  And of
> course, because I was utterly paranoid, and didn't want to leave my
> beloved list in the hands of just one person without safeguards
> against catastrophe!  :)
>
> Anyway, my worst fears were realised. [cue dramatic music] Billy
> quit/lost his job on a moment's notice, without transfering the
> subscription list to Ben, and his boss closed down his machine and the
> BOC-L mail server.  I checked back in one day, to find tons of
> personal mail asking me WHERE THE HELL WAS BOC-L?  Imagine 150
> panicked BOC-Lers with no BOC/Hawkwind mail, FOR TWO WHOLE DAYS.  ;-)
>
> Meanwhile, Mike Holmes had announced the Emergency Hawkwind Broadcast
> System, and was advising people not to panic.  But the Hawkwind fans
> don't trust authority, and the BOCers felt abandoned, so they all
> panicked anyway.  :)

Ah memories - I had more or less just joined the list and was still
feeling my way around email not to mention the University mainframe
system and suddenly everything was cut off!   *Then* I got paranoid -
and I guess I've never really recovered since.

One problem nags me though - I'm sure I remember the name of Bob
Netherton in connection with this - tho' I could be wrong.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk