What's Progressive?

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Wed Jun 26 09:12:20 EDT 1996

Guido Vacano wrote:

> Christian sez--
> >
> > >Yours truly wrote:In the context
> > of rock music I'd say it narrows down the genre a bit, while at the same
> > time including most forms of rock....
>
> and Guido replied ferociously:

> Then I think this is a bit more of a very general description than a
> useful category. I mean, if a record store put all the inventive and
> original stuff on the "progressive" shelves, where's the rest go? To the
> "derivative drivel" shelves? :-)

That'd be great! Toss in the Barry Manilows, Michael Boltons, Phil
Collinses and Bon Jovis and keep them out of sight of intelligent
people....:-)

> Categorizing music is a difficult operation I guess, but there MUST be
> some good alternatives to (IMHO) useless categories like "progressive
> rock", "world music", and "new age". :-P

Record stores shouldn't categorize music other than alphabetically....
with the exception of rough divisions like classical, rock, jazz,
(maybe) dance, and folk/country ,and, perhaps "world music" (including
New Age).... all rock, despite outside influences, crossbreeding or
subgenres should be firmly placed in the rock category. And the other
categories  (with a little bit of musical knowledge, judgement and
common sense...) should be placed in their respective categories.......
After all, classical, rock, jazz and folk (including blues & country)
are far more tangible categories than sub-categories like "progressive"
or "punk" or "alternative" or whatever......

> So how do we categorize a monstrosity like Hawkwind? Are they heavy
> metal? Are they psychedelia? New wave? Industrial? Alternative? Ambient?
> Electronic? Progressive rock?

All of the above! Hawkwind are probably the most diverse band in
existence!! But for the sake of simplicity, file under "rock".

> Let's face it, musical categories suck. :-)

Yeah they do, because I feel like an jackass when somebody asks me what
kind of music I like, and, when being unable to express myself within
their limited range of tastes in one coherent sentence (pretentious?
moi?:-) I end up blurting out something like : "uh... well, all kinds of
stuff, really, y'know... alot of like obscure psychedelic 60s and 70s
stuff mostly..." and they immediatly reply something like:"Oh, yeah,
Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite Moody Blues album!", or "Oh, like
the Beatles and stuff?"  or "You boring old fart. I only listen to
techno and industrial!". If I simply say "Hawkwind" they go
"Hawkawhat?", and trying to explain Hawkwind is like trying to ski
through a revolving door.

Ah, if only they knew!!!

Christian

"There is a land not far from the ears of sound, the eyes of sight can
see, it's over that tree, you'll be there by tomorrow's breeze..."
                        -Donovan