AB on BOC-L vs. AOL

Wed Jun 26 11:00:50 EDT 1996

Former active listmember (now lurker in digest mode) Adrian Brevard asked me
to post some of his thoughts on the recent BOC-L vs. AOL discussion.  I
think it may be a moot point since it would appear that most have already
taken his advice anyway (including a few listmembers reminding me to chill
out - which I appreciate).  It does not appear to me that we are about to
get into another major debate about the 2 groups (a good thing, since we
really are all on the same side when you think about it).  Anyways, his
thoughts follow.

John

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Ladies, Fish and Gentlemen:

Please do not get caught up in the AOL v. BOC-L dispute of for that
matter tBS v. 3OC.  These are all fruitless arguments.

Both lists provide useful information, intelligent dialog (well
sometimes) and basically a forum for people to lay out their opinions.
AOL has Buck & Eric and BOC-L has Al.  Both are great lists for what
they do, however they differ from each other to the point that
comparisons are moot.

As for tBS and 3OC I doubt that either of these groups really cares what
the other is doing.  Whether or not they sincerely wish the other well
or harm is immaterial to the inhabitants of both services and a private
matter.  I+m sure Al+s decision to form tBS was motivated solely by his
desire to create an outlet for his talents, no hidden agenda.  3OC
decision to sign with a German record company is simply a business
decision and nothing more.  I cannot fathom any other possible, logical
reason that could suggest otherwise.

Let this one die a quiet death people there are much worthier topics to
be discussed.  Such as tBS new CD, goading Albert into doing a live one
(how about it big guy?) Hawkwind+s tour and countless other things which
make the digest too large to for my mail system to display everything.

Glad to hear Robo is alive and well.

Peace folks.

AB