HW: HW/Ozrics

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Wed Jun 26 02:00:46 EDT 1996

Jon Browne wrote:
>I know this is going to be an oft asked question but what does
>"progressive" actually mean? I would use it in context meaning
>progressing further into new musical areas.

and:

>Or is Progressive, this 70's IQ, Genesis, Marillion thing still?

I prefer your second statement. In Dutch there's a different meaning to the
term 'symphonic rock', which we use for bands like 70's Genesis, early
Marillion and so. The 'symphonic' part refers to the use of instruments and
major role for melody.
We use 'progressive' for music that shows progression, related to either the
other parts in the same musical piece, or related to the rest of the musical
era. Genesis were progressive on their first couple of albums. Their Wind And
Wuthering album was less progressive, and more symphonic. A band like Nektar,
and with them a lot of other krautrock bands, were really progressive,
without necessarily being symphonic.

But still, many people refer to early Genesis or early Marillion when they
talk about progressive. So why confuse them? :-)

Jerry,
(now listening to: Genesis - Tower Theatre, Philadelphia PA, 1974-03-03)