OFF: boc-l history trivia archive (For misty-eyed folks only)

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Wed Jun 26 12:25:21 EDT 1996

This was Ben's return to serenity and normality message after the rift.

Tim

------- Forwarded Message

   As most of you saw from my previous message, Bob Netherton is no longer with
ericsson. Consequently, the list as it existed at <boc-l at exu.ericsson.se> has
gone away, never to be resurrected.

   Contrary to popular belief, I had spent the past week attempting to
determine whether Bob had fallen off the face of the planet, been hit by a
truck, struck by lightning, or turned into a petunia. As it turns out, a
combination of political problems and a much better offer involving more
money and a company car convinced him to leave for greener pastures.

   I appreciate FoFP's efforts to resurrect the list, but, as the Sole Survivor
of what could best be termed "The BOC-L Co-Moderator Incident", I am in
control. [Shades of Al Haig and Rush, eh?]

   The new list address is:     boc-l at spcvxa.spc.edu
   The new request address is:  boc-request at spcvxa.spc.edu

If you have easier access to BITNET than to standard Internet, just replace the
.spc.edu with .BITNET and you should be good to go.

   The only change that you should be seeing is that mail is going to be coming
from a different address. Unfortunately, due to the restrictions of the VMS
Mail software, I am currently unable to restrict postings to subscribers only.
This shouldn't affect you, however.

   In the future, I may move the list to a Unix machine where I can set up such
a mailing list, but, if I do so, I will leave forwarding addresses in place so
there's no such disruption of service in the future.

   On a separate, but related note, does anyone have a recent copy of the
archives? Steve deleted his on-line version and I need to wait for a response
from someone at ericsson before finding out if I can get Bob's old copy.

   On a completely separate note, I will be on vacation from June 26 through
July 5. This should leave mail flowing with no problems, but will force
subscription and unsubscription to wait until I return.

   Again, my humble apologies for the recent problems, but we should
(hopefully) be back on an even keel. The machine that we will now be on has
been in place for about 6 years and the systems manager has been around for
even longer with no immediate plans to leave. We should be safe so long as I'm
not hit by a falling petunia on vacation. ["Oh no, not again..."] :-)

   Your new Sole Surviving Humble Moderator, (YnSSHM)
   Ben Cohen

PS. Anyone know who maintains the canonical list of musical mailing lists?

------- End of Forwarded Message