What's Progressive, what's techno

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Thu Jun 27 03:54:59 EDT 1996

Jon wrote:

> In message <199606261234.NAA10529 at neptune.shef.ac.uk>, Chris Bates
> <C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK> writes
> >Is *house* really music?
>
> Define music. Of course it is. And some very damn fine psychedelic tunes
> can be found. It's just a little too _progressive_ for some peoples
> taste.

Well, I was joking really. In a discussion on what makes progressive
music it amused me to ask what is music?....

and Carl replied:

>         Hmmm, well, the problem I have with most techno is that it's
> just that--techno.  The mechanical nature of it removes much of the
> gestalt function of a live band.

<snip>

>         Techno is too _consistent_ for me.  Humans aren't consistent :)
> and I guess I get a kick out of human inconsistancy, planned or otherwise :)
> I just can't get excited about something I know comes from a box.  I
> can't relate to boxes the way I can to people ...

I agree with Carl though. I like Can and they sound sort of techno-ish
to me but with far more humanity and variety. And hey, techno can't be
progressive if it sounds like a band from 25 years ago can it?

ObSmileys ;-))))))

Chris