OFF: The 20-minuters

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Mar 2 08:34:32 EST 1996

On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Andrew A. Apold wrote:

> >        Any band who can string a song out for twenty minutes (esp.
> >Brainstorm!) will get a sympathetic hearing from me!
>
> Such open-ended statements.  I suppose you'll get out your
> sympathetic hearings for:
>
> Pink Floyd - "Echoes", 23.31  minutes
> Arlo Guthrie - "Alice's Resteraunt", about 20 minutes,
> M. Python  - "I like traffic lights", about 15 minutes before I shot the thing
>

> //// (actually, "Echoes" is my favorite Floyd song, so maybe you have
        something there... they also had "Dogs" and "Atom Heart Mother", both
at about 17 m)

        Alice's Restaurant is brilliant! Not quite in the same way as
Echoes, but still. `I like traffic lights', on the other hand: well, best
not to talk about it really. Even Python had bad patches... just like my
music taste, some might say, but I remain adamant: it's not much on
music, but everyone ought to hear `Alice's Restaurant' at least once.
This has been a proclamation by Jazza...

          /----------------------------------------------------------\
          |    "So, Penfold, what did you think of Popacatepetl?"    |
          |       "Er, not yet chief, but I will as soon as we       |
          |                  get to the kitchen."                    |
          |Jonathan Jarrett ( History ) |    Ext. Tel. 01223 460728  |
          | ( Pembroke College,         |    Int. Tel. 39082         |
          |   Cambridge CB2 1RF ) or    |    E-MAIL:                 |
          |     2 Selwyn Gardens (7),   |    jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk  |
          |       Cambridge CB2 1NG.    |                            |