OFF: Satriani with DP

Jason O'Broin jobroin at MADGE.CO.UK
Tue Mar 5 07:15:06 EST 1996

> No, no, Joe just filled in for Ritchie, on the last US tour was it ?
>
> Besides, Jason, one of the resident boc-l DP heads would know more. Oi, Jason
> where are you lurking ?

Austria, Skiing. Back now... (no broken bones!)

Yup, Satch filled in for Blackmore on the Japanese (and part of the European)
leg of DP's 25th Aniversary tour. He was darn good too. I have a couple of
recordings to demonstrate this. Satch expressed interest in staying with DP
but couldn't get out of his contracts (and indeed, probably wanted to carry
on doing his own thing). Some people detect a significant influence from the
Purple tour on Satch's new album (Down, Down, Down particularly).

Since then, DP have recruited Steve Morse (this band have such a good track
record of picking the best guitarists around). New album out last month
(Purpendicular, aka. _|_), and they are touring the UK at this very moment -
I'm off to see them at Brixton on Friday. Album should be out in the USA in
a month or so, followed by a tour. The album is, IMHO, the best thing they
have done since the reformation. It's the first they have done in years where
they aren't just retreading old ground. It has that Fireball spirit to it.
However, don't expect to hear that Blackmore guitar sound. It's there every
now and again, but Steve Morse is quite a different guitar animal from
Blackers.

> 'Always with Me, Always with You'  Go take a listen, and see if your
> opinion doesn't change. It is IMHO, one of _the_ definitive guitar
> instrumentals ever put down on record.

I'm with Tim on this one. I personally thing that Satriani is one of the best,
if not the best, instrumental guitarist. In particular, I really like his
strong sense of melody and song structure. He's not just a widdle merchent
like most the GIT bunch.

Jason
--
       Jason O'Broin - Development Engineer, ATM Adapter Group
Madge Networks, Sefton Park, Bells Hill, Stoke Poges, Slough SL2 4JS. UK
 Phone +44 1494 541258 Email: jobroin at madge.com or jobroin at dev.madge.com
       - Can I have everything louder than everything else ? -