charmed ME-262 called <Plutonium>?

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Mar 8 14:02:58 EST 1996

>>It was always my understanding that Desdinova translates essentially
>>to "Eternal Light".  'Desd' i think relates to time (i.e., destiny, etc.)
>>and 'nova' can also be interpreted in terms of illumination if I'm
>>not mistaken.
>Say... 'super nova'?

"Nova" has nothing to do with light.  We use the word "Nova" to describe certain
stars because romans wrote about a "new star" in the skies.  Nova = New.  We
now know that this "new star" was a star that underwent a process we now
refer to as a Nova, and Supernova is an extrapolation of that.  But many
astronomers would be quick to point out (Sagan did in one of his books) that
this usage of the word is wholly wrong, the star in question was always
there, just too far away for us to see it prior to its going nova.

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Chancellor                                            of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)