ArcMet

David B. Kuznick david at PHARLAP.CI.COM
Mon Mar 11 10:20:33 EST 1996

  > Date:    Fri, 8 Mar 1996 07:26:00 -0500
  > From:    "Scott Heller (617) 724-7762" <HELLERS at A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
  >
  >             Arc Met have been a three piece for several years now. From 1989-
  >        92' the band was a 6 piece with two guitarist and two synth players.
  >        The current guitarist (Greg Kozlowski, who played at the first Sun
  >        Machine show in CLeveland on NYE) has been with them since late 92'.
  >        Paul Eggleston is the original synth player and one of the founding
  >        members. Deb Younghas been playing drums for the band since
1989,

Wow!  Considering her... umm.. "skill" on the skins now, it boggles
the mind thinking of this.  Actaully on the studio stuff she's not
that bad, but EVERY time I've seen them live she absolutely can NOT
keep time.

but
  >        known them and been involved with them since earlier on, but not as a
  >        member.

<g> Not to be nasty, but I sometimes wonder if she'ld even be in the
band now if it weren't for some non-music related reasons...

  >             They often end their shows with Welcome to the Future. The set
  >        list Wed night was:
  >
  >        Cascading Folliage

This was great.

  >        Holy Ground

THis was good too.

  >        Richocet (Tandgerine Dream cover)

Which they butchered IMO.  I saw them do this when they opened for the
Ozrics, and it was great.  This time guitar synth/distortion was
mostly uncontrollable, the keys were buried and the whole thing just
plodded along.  None of the intensity of the original.

  >        Holographic Caves
  >        Creature

This was a little on the silly side.

  >        Welcome to the Future

This rubs me the wrong way when they do it.

  >        40m
  >
  >        The CD is still available. they sell them at all of their shows. I
  >        have not seen them in the local stores in a while.

There's one sitting in Newbury Comics in Harvard Square.

I really do like some of their stuff and think their CD is well worth
picking up (just skip Sonic Attack...), but I think their lack of
professionalism will keep them from ever really going anywhere.
Everytime I see them, they strike me as a few people who decided to
get together at the last minute and "make some cool sounds, dude", not
a band that's been around as long as they have.

David Kuznick - david at ci.com (Work: http://www.ci.com  Play: coming soon...)
Why try holding back the wave?  You'll only drown in the changes.
You've got to learn to let go.  Just let go and experience the flight.
Try to see from a different side.  If balance is the key, maybe we'll see
A future understanding.  -  "My Global Mind" - QUEENSRYCHE