OFF - and multiply!

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Mar 13 08:59:45 EST 1996

> It might suprise libertarians but not everyone has your incredibly
> highly developed critical faculties, people are influenced by the
> information they receive. The internet is the fastest method yet
> developed of spreading rumour and hatred. By the time a denial has been
> disseminated the lies of extremists are already in the public
> domain and being accepted. Not everyone who sees the lie will ever
> see a rebutal.

Right!  I believe that in the aftermath of the Oklahoma City bombing,
the net was flooded with requests for instructions on how to
duplicate this brave, freedom-fighting act.  Right here in river city
last month a bunch of junior-high kids were caught plotting to bomb
their school.  They learned this from the net, and they were just
trying to re-live the exploits of the Okla. City assholes.  I love
freedom, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of it for the public
good.  It's all well and good for you Brits to argue about total
freedom--you don't have teenagers brandishing Uzis and hosing down
their own neighborhoods for fun.  Forget that the US is a screwed-up
place, I acknowledge that.  But the guns and explosives are here, and
here to stay.  I don't see how the freedom to learn how to use this
shit is of any possible benefit to society, at least not here.
theo