Off: Read and Believe?

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Wed Mar 13 11:30:00 EST 1996

>It might suprise libertarians but not everyone has your incredibly
>highly developed critical faculties, people are influenced by the
>information they receive. The internet is the fastest method yet
>developed of spreading rumour and hatred. By the time a denial has been
>disseminated the lies of extremists are already in the public
>domain and being accepted. Not everyone who sees the lie will ever
>see a rebutal.

This is based on the idea that people seek out all info and process it with
an open mind.   In fact, people tend to seek out information that reinforces
held views and ignore conflicting information.   Those that buy a rumor
usually are predisposed to accepting it and rarely give it up.   Those that
question a rumor do so because it conflicts with their beliefs and seek out
the possibility that they are correct.   Just because balanced or divergent
information is out there, does not mean it will be read and convert the
reader.    The point that people are influenced by what they receive is
mostly only to strengthen beliefs that already are in place.

>Call me naive, but I live in the hope that actually demonstrating how to
>take dumb arguments apart on the Internet might just help a few people
>develop some critical faculties. I've certainly put in my time arguing
>both with the British National Party and with the Anti-Nazi League. One
>for racist views and the other for attacking freedom of speech.

See above.  Did any of these people, or you, change an opinion as a result?
  The "critical faculties" seems to really be a way to say "an open mind"
and that is very hard to find.   Even the most open minded have some beliefs
that are tightly held.   You'll note that even in this thread, there has
been a lot of good discussion, but nobody has said, "you're right" and
switched sides.   Worse, rational discussion is a much weaker convincer than
emotional appeal.   This is why the zealots have such impact.  They work on
emotions and get others to react along.   Appeal to somebody's fears and you
have an instant ally.

Rudy