BOC: Dallas 3/14

David Zeiger dzeiger at NETCOM.COM
Fri Mar 15 01:32:48 EST 1996

Well, my ears are still ringing, so it's a good thing the internet
doesn't require sound :-).

The Arcadia theater is a fun place--it's an old theatre that's been
almost completely redone--most of the old seating area is now a
dance floor, and the remaining seating in back is now small table
settings.  I managed to get a spot on the edge of the dance floor,
right behind the old orchestra pit--so I was level with the stage,
while being only 10-15' away, with everyone in front of me being
below me as well.

This is the first oppurtunity I've had to see BOC live--for the past
few years they've been frustrating me by playing in Dallas when I'm
in Little Rock, and Little Rock when I'm iin Dallas :-).  So if
you might wonder why I don't do any comparisons to past shows, that's
why.

The opening band, whose name has slipped my mind, was insignifigant.
I remember thinking "Hey, I must have taken a wrong turn and ended up
at the Skid Row concert."  This was made worse when the lead singer
picked up some paper during a guitar solo, and was obviously reading
the words to the next verse :-).

Anyway, the setlist was as follows...

Stairway to the Stars
Dr Music
ETI
Harvest Moon
Before the Kiss, a Redcap
I'd Like to See You In Black
Buck's Boogie
Teen Archer
Cities on Flame
Last Days of May
In Thee
Lips in the Hills
Burnin' for You
Godzilla
Don't Fear the Reaper
(encore)
Dominance and Submission
The Red and the Black

I was kinda hoping for either Telepaths or Astronomy, but no such luck.
I assume theta Telepaths is one of their options somewhere, though, as
the roadies went to a bit of trouble to set up a big strobe that they
never ended up using.

Neither of the two new tunes particularly excited me.  Harvest Moon
might be pretty good, but, as with most concerts I've attended, it's
tough to make out the words to a song you've never heard, and I
can't really get into a song if I have no idea what the singer is
saying.

Same problem with In Black, but I didn't really care.  For some reason
the title suggested a slower, sinister, melodic tune, not speed metal.
Of course, I mix my BOC with heavy doeses of Yes and Jethro Tull, those
who mix with Metallica and Megadeth might really like it.

Other than that, I can't think of much to say.  It won't hold a place
in my heart as "One of the Greatest Concerts I've Seen" or anything,
but it didn't suck, either :-).  Just a solid performance.

Oh, one other thing.  This is the second event I've been to in
as many weeks where nobody's taken my ticket.  There didn't even
seem to be anybody *trying* to take them, I just walked straight in.
I really should stop buying them (particularly since the t-shirt
costs 2 times as much as the ticket...)

            David Zeiger              dzeiger at netcom.com

Windows 95: The Dracula of Operating Systems--it sucks up all your
memory, bleeds your hard drive dry, and only works an average of
12 hours out of every 24.