HW: how about a brawl!!

cjohnson cjohnson at SUR1A.HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Mon Mar 18 15:32:40 EST 1996

>Prophets: just bought this yesterday. Was most of this stuff recorded
>live w/audience or studio?

       Seems to me that most/all of this was studio, even though much of
       it is remakes of older Nik, ICU, or HW songs.  This release struck
       me as an uneven grab-bag of songs from Nik's entire career, even
       tho I don't think it was meant to be a retrospective or anything.
       I *do* like several of the songs on this one.

       [CHOMP]

>I would definitely like to know how Freq and Live are as I see these at
>Best Buy. Of course it'd really be nice to find Capt or Leif, but
>I've never seen them...
>
>Chuck

       I wasn't too fond of Freq myself, but that may not be typical of
       this List.  The songs border on early industrial type sounds, with
       some (possibly dated) mechanical sounds building the rhythms.
       Also, each song is separated by a spoken word piece, ranting on
       about a Miners strike that was taking place at the time.  I always
       program my CD player to avoid this stuff -- it got old pretty
       quickly for me.  Then again, the whole strike thing didn't mean
       anything to me either ( <-- the ugly American ?)

       One nice thing is that the spoken word thingies have some musical
       background sounds.  I understand that this was not on the original
       record, and was added as part of the re-mastering that produced the
       CD Freq (actually called "Freq Revisited").  While I do not have a
       copy of the original LP to compare with, this is what I was told.
       You should be able to get Freq at a good price: around $14.

       I haven't listened to Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall lately, so I'll
       avoid any attempts at reviewing this one.  Possibly a better choice
       than Freq, though.  How much was Best Buy asking for this one, and
       did they have more than one in stock?

       I've never seen a domestic (USA) CD issue of either Capt Lockheed
       or Lucky Leif.  Did Cleopatra recently issue one of these?  Perhaps
       Capt Lockheed?  I seem to vaguely remember spotting an announcement
       to that effect somewhere...of course, it could just be more
       brainmush on my part.

       Captain Cloud
       cjohnson at sur1a.hpsc.hisd.harris.com