HW: Anybody know these bands

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 19 10:02:20 EST 1996

>Now when you say
>*Krautrock* what do you mean? I take it to mean prog bands from Germany
>but Guru Guru are nothing like Tangerine Dream or Amon Duul II or
>Kraftwerk (yuck!).

Not really - it's more defined by a time (early '70s), a place (West
Germany), and an attitude (a pre-punk post-war German self-awareness thing).
 So it could be musically quite diverse.  Guru Guru's Uli Trepte also played
with Neu! and Faust, which suggests they really were part of the "echte
Krautrockszene".

Now, this might sound dumb, but how does one define "prog"?  I find it one of
those real turn-off words, 'cos it makes me think of _Tales of Topographic
Oceans_, and other reasons why I started getting into Hawkwind in the first
place...

- Andy

ObLP: Pink Fairies - _What a Bunch of Sweeties_