OFF: EUR / USA

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Thu Mar 21 08:28:42 EST 1996

>Jerry writes:

>> I've never tastes worse water than when I was in the US. Er... /drinkable/
>
>I've heard say that the cleanest water you will find anywhere in the
>world is in New York but that this is primarily because by the time its
>been filtered, cleaned, purified, decontaminated and
>de-whateverelseified there is absolutely nothing left in it at all.

I can't believe I'm actually entereing this discussion...

US drinking water quality varies wildly from municipality to municipality.
When I was in San Antonio, it was normal for tap water to leave a ring
in a sink if left standing, due to high mineral content from the aquifer it
was drawn from.  But it tasted better to me than, say, Florida ("Flourida?")
when I first moved here (though it doesn't have any marks).

The best quality tap water I've had from was when I was in the republic of
Panama, even though it was drawn from a reservoir above ground (not
the one from the canal, though on the same river upstream).  It is the second
richest country in terms of per capita rainfall (second only to Canada, which
wins only because it has lots of rain on land with no people).  I believe they
flouridate only the water on the U.S. military bases and government holdings,
so you can kinda take your pick if you really want.

The worst tasting tap water I can recall (because it was such a sudden shock)
was from an airport in Amsterdam, in 1980.
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Chancellor                                            of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)