OFF: Devil Doll

David B. Kuznick david at PHARLAP.CI.COM
Fri Mar 22 10:12:33 EST 1996

They are REALLY unique.  A mix of dark rock, chamber music, theatrics,
etc.  The one album I have, _Eliogabalus_ (with only one track), is
really fine, but takes some getting used to because Mr. Doctor has a
VERY weird voice (someone once said he sounds like the Crypt Keeper.
Not a bad description, but it really doesn't do it justice).  But
don't let that deter you.  The music is very dark and haunting, and
breaks out into rock at interesting times as well.  They've also done
an album called _The Girl Who Was Death_ which is a concept album based
on The Prisoner.

They sometimes remind me of Universe Zero, but I think they're much
more interesting because it's not just "chamber" rock.  I'm not a big
fan of UZ or chamber rock, yet I REALLY like DD.

Sample lyrics:

"I dread the great-winged insecta and the cat-headed butterflies
above all the fleshy wings of birds trying to clutch me"

How can you lose?  :-)

Highly recommended, nothing like Hawkwind, very weird, but very
musical.

David Kuznick - david at ci.com (Work: http://www.ci.com  Play: coming soon...)
Why try holding back the wave?  You'll only drown in the changes.
You've got to learn to let go.  Just let go and experience the flight.
Try to see from a different side.  If balance is the key, maybe we'll see
A future understanding.  -  "My Global Mind" - QUEENSRYCHE