HW: Anybody know these bands

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Sat Mar 23 02:55:48 EST 1996

On 19-MAR-1996 10:18:43.7 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >>Now when you say
   >>*Krautrock* what do you mean? I take it to mean prog bands from Germany
   >>but Guru Guru are nothing like Tangerine Dream or Amon Duul II or
   >>Kraftwerk (yuck!).
   >Not really - it's more defined by a time (early '70s), a place (West
   >Germany), and an attitude (a pre-punk post-war German self-awareness
   >thing). So it could be musically quite diverse.  Guru Guru's Uli
   >Trepte also played with Neu! and Faust, which suggests they really
   >were part of the "echte Krautrockszene".
   >Now, this might sound dumb, but how does one define "prog"?  I find it
   >one of
   >those real turn-off words, 'cos it makes me think of _Tales of
   >Topographic Oceans_, and other reasons why I started getting into
   >Hawkwind in the first place...

I'm wondering the same thing. Around here, most people at music stores and
the radio stations lump HW in with prog. Then I compare something like, say,
"Valium 10" with, oh, say...any ELP song and I think "NO, you have the wrong
idea!" I guess they haven't actually heard HW, to put them in such a
category (but, of course, they could have heard something like
Levitation...) or assume they're prog by the appearance of their
records/CDs. All I can say is that it sucks to be a Hawkfan in the US -- no
one seems to have even heard of 'em...

Chuck
`[1;32;47mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive