OFF: Re: Totally OFF: Comet and Dream

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Mon Mar 25 12:08:23 EST 1996

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, M Holmes wrote:

> I managed to see the comet about halfway between the Plough and Arcturus
> on early Sunday morning. Lotsa skyglow so it didn't look like much
> except a fuzzier and dimmer version of Venus but a tail was clearly
> visible with low power binoculars. I gotta try to see it from somewhere
> darker though.

It's definitely worth it.  Yesterday evening the Virginia Tech Astronomy
Scoiety set up a bunch of telescopes on the edge of Blacksburg and invited
the public to view the comet.  The event was surprisingly well attended.
Despite some light pollution, the site was well chosen, and both the
comet---and its tail---were visible to the naked eye (and in more detail
through the telescopes).  Although it sounds odd, the tail made a more
distinct impression when viewed in peripheral vision.

Afterwards, a friend and I drove out of Blacksburg, down by McCoy near
the New River.  The light pollution in this rural area is very minimal,
and vastly more stars were visible to the naked eye.  Naturally, the view
of the comet was even better, and its long tail much more distinct.

Apparently, yesterday night had the comet at its closest approach.  From
now on, it's heading away from Earth.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.