HW: Spirit Of The Age

Bernhard Pospiech b.pospiech at POP.RUHR.DE
Wed Mar 27 11:24:47 EST 1996

Hi there

>>>Another question is when was the first time Spirit of the Age was played
>>>live at a HW show?
>>
>>The very first time it was played on 14.10.1971 in POTTERS BAR
>>The song was called at this time: SHAPES OF THINGS TO COME
>
>As early as that? I'm amazed. (again.  I've been spending a lot of my
>time amazed recently :> )
>
>What did it sound like, I mean, how different from the version off
>QS & C?

I am very sorry but I made a mistake!!!!
.
Here are the corrections:

SPIRIT OF THE AGE was for the first time played on 14.10.1971
It was only an ode (like WELCOME TO THE FUTURE) spoken by Calvert. The
lyrics are from the HAWKLOG from ISOS, only slightly different from the
lyrics we all know.

Next time SPPIRIT OF THE AGE was played on 11.12.1976.
The words are very different. And the chorus is SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME
instead of SPIRIT OF THE AGE. The music is the same as on QS&C

The first time the "real" SPIRIT OF THE AGE version was played (the version
we all know) was on 27.02.1977 (the famous Roundhouse gig)

Hope that helps

Again: I am very sorry for my mistake

Bernhard