HW: Stacia, errrr, Static!

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Thu Mar 28 15:10:00 EST 1996

> obproblem> carrying loads of static electricity around with me these days -
> electronic equipment beware  8-(    Anyone know how best to earth myself
> before touching anything?   Sheest.

Heh-heh, one of the things that I have had training on as of late...

1. Eliminate synthetic fiber-based clothing. Wear cotton. That includes,
   errr, the unmentionables. (Nylon/silk/rayon rubbing against another
   material generates a potentital difference).
2. Raise the humidity level. Dry air creates static.
3. Use hand/skin lotion. Increases moisture level.
4. Wear proper shoes. Rubber-soled shoes help prevent the build-up of
   static. (You can also buy these wonderful little "shoe grounders"
   that fit over your street shoes that bleed off the charge. And they
   look real high-tech/dorky, too!)
5. Use Static Guard spray (found in the laundry section of your grocery
   store) on your clothes, surroundings, etc. Also, be sure and use fabric
   softener in the wash to eliminate static. (ESD [electro-static discharge]
   trivia: pink anti-static material derives its' colour from plain ol'
   everyday liquid fabric softener! That's the secret ingredient!)
6. Touch an exposed part of the frame of the equipment, prior to handling
   any sensitive part of the equipment.
7. Wear a grounding strap. Attach it to ground (earth) point before
   touching any sensitive hardware.

Sorry, got carried away, but when you handle boards that cost in excess of
US$ 35,000.00 (_our_ cost!!), you take a few extra precautions...

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400
-------mmmmmmm- Atlanta, GA 30342      (404) 845-3404