HW: everything there is to know

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 28 16:49:07 EST 1996

Well, I spent an hour or so on this *before* I read Mike's suggestion on
layout. so it's in album order :(  (Still, I guess I can write a macro or
something).  I've incorporated Jill's and other's posts but not the whole
scoop on Orgone (although I'd want to put that in a proper version!).  And I
hadn't the energy to write an explanation of the Eternal Champion for Warrior
& Black Sword.

Anyway, here goes, Hawkrefs v0.01:

__________

*Doremi Fasol Latido*

Lord of Light - title of book by Roger Zelazny, in which the rulers of a
colony planet use technological means to assume the aspects of the Hindu
pantheon.
Urban Guerrilla - reference to the Beatles' "Why don't we do it in the road".
 "Two-tone panther" is a pun on the Black Panthers, the White Panthers, and
other pressure groups.

*Space Ritual*

Orgone Accumulator - refers to the scientific theories of Dr Wilhelm Reich.
 In his theory, "orgone" was a vital force, permeating the universe, which
could be collected in "orgone boxes", and used to cure certain diseases.
 This theory failed to gain widespread acceptance.
Ten Seconds of Forever - "the vermilion deserts of Mars, the jewelled forests
of Venus" are popular views of those planets in pulp science fiction until
the 1970's.

*Hall of the Mountain Grill*

The Mountain Grill was an inexpensive restaurant in Notting Hill, London,
frequented by members of Hawkwind around this time.  Popular dishes included
beans on toast (as in "The legend of Beenzon Toste").

*Warrior on the Edge of Time*

Assault and Battery - the lines "Lives of great men... sands of time" are
taken from a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Opa-Loka - Opa-Locka (with a "c") is the name of a town in Florida, USA.
Kings of Speed - Mister (Jerry) C(ornelius), Frank (Cornelius) and (Bishop)
Beasley are all characters from several of Michael Moorcock's novels
Motorhead - "Motorhead" is a slang term for a user of amphetamines.

*Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music*

Reefer Madness - title taken from circa 1940's anti-marijuana propaganda film
Steppenwolf - book by Hermann Hesse.  The German "Ich weiss nicht, was ich
sagen soll" translates as "I do not know what I should say".

*Quark, Strangeness and Charm*

Damnation Alley - book by Roger Zelazny; in a post-apocalyptic future, biker
Hell Tanner is recruited to transport a serum across the wasteland of North
America.  Unsatisfactorily filmed starring George Peppard.  "Dr Strangelove,
or how we learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" is the title of a film
by Stanley Kubrick, in which the eponymous Doctor is a mad scientific advisor
to the President, and appears to relish the prospect of nuclear war.
Quark, Strangeness and Charm - in fact, Einstein was married, and had several
children including at least one outside his marriage; and Copernicus made his
discoveries before the invention of the telescope.
Hassan I Sahba - leader of mediaeval Moslem sect known as the Hashishim, or
"assassins", who used hashish to induce an ecstatic state; Black September
was the name of a Palestinian terrorist organisation notorious for the
massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic games; a "petrodollar" is a
term for hard currency earned by oil producing countries.
Days of the Underground - autobiographical piece about Hawkwind's early days;
John the Bog and Smiling Mike were friends of the band.
The Iron Dream - book by Norman Spinrad, supposedly written by an Adolf
Hitler from an alternate universe in which he emigrated to the USA and became
a pulp writer.

*PXR5*

Jack of Shadows - book by Roger Zelazny; the eponymous character lives on a
world half ruled my science, and half by magic.
Robot - refers to Isaac Asimov's three laws of robotics
High Rise - book by JG Ballard, depicting an urban dystopia.

*25 Years On*

Psi Power - refers to "Zener cards" used in attempts to measure telepathic
phenomena; these cards are marked with symbols such as squares and triangles,
which one subject will try and telepathically send to another.
Free Fall - 32 feet per second squared is the rate of acceleration due to
gravity.
25 Years - a "GCE" (General Certificate of Education)  and a "City and
Guilds" are both forms of academic qualification.
Flying Doctor - Australia's Flying Doctor service provides emergency medical
care in the remote outback; a Percival Proctor is a light aircraft; a
coolibah tree is a native Australian tree; "khyber" (derived from rhyming
slang: "Khyber Pass") is another word for "arse".

*Levitation*

World of Tiers - overall title of a series of six novels by Philip Jose
Farmer.  The eponymous world is one of several artificial "pocket universes",
and happens to be shaped rather like a wedding cake.
Nuclear Toy - Harrisburg (Pennsylvania, USA) and Windscale (now known as
Sellafield, Cumbria, UK) are among nuclear installations where leaks of
radioactive material have occurred.

*Choose Your Masques*

Fahrenheit 451 - title of book by Ray Bradbury, later filmed by Francois
Truffaut.  The plot concerns the destruction of all printed literature in a
future totalitarian society; 451 degrees Fahrenheit is the temperature at
which paper begins to burn.  The song lyrics are based upon an existing poem
by Calvert.

*Church of Hawkwind*

Some People Never Die - samples of news commentary from the killings of Lee
Harvey Oswald and Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
Phenomenon of Luminosity - sample of communication with John Glenn, commander
of Friendship 7, one of the Mercury space missions.  It is unknown what he
saw - theories range from glowing fragments from the capsule's heat-shield,
to some form of alien encounter.

*Zones*

Dangerous Vision - "Dangerous Visions", plural, is the title of a landmark
anthology of "new wave" science fiction edited by Harlan Ellison.
Utopia '84 - Watney's Red Barrel was a brand of beer, widely regarded with
contempt.

*Earth Ritual EP*

Green Finned Demon - Captain Nemo is the submarine captain from Jules Verne's
"20,000 Leagues under the Sea".

*Do Not Panic*

Stonehenge Decoded - title of book by Gerald S. Hawkins published in 1965
purporting to explain the arrangement of the stones at Stonehenge in
astronomical terms.

*Out and Intake*

Ghost Dance - The Ghost Dance religion was a Native American movement in the
last years of the nineteenth century.   The Dance was supposed to raise the
dead warrior spirits who would then go into the live warriors bodies and
render them invincible to the weapons of the white man.   The Battle at
Wounded Knee was where the dance empowered Indians attacked as the first step
to remove the blight from their land.

*Xenon Codex*

The War I Survived - "Slaughterhouse 5" is the title of a novel by Kurt
Vonnegut, based on his experiences as a survivor of the Dresden fire-bombing
in 1945.

*Space Bandits*

Black Elk Speaks - Black Elk, of the Oglala Sioux, was a survivor of the
massacre at Wounded Knee.  In the 1930's, anthropologist John G Neihardt
interviewed Black Elk at length, and recorded his testimony in a book
entitled, "Black Elk Speaks".  The vocal track is a recording made by
Neihardt.

*Electric Tepee*

Right to Decide:  Jill Strobridge writes: Albert Dryden, idiosyncratic
gentleman with an interest in ballistics (he was detained on firearm offences
c.1957 and in the 1960s for trying to launch a homemade self-constructed
rocket from his back garden) worked
in the Consett steelmill which was shutdown in about 1989.   With his
redundancy money he bought a smallholding and started trying to get planning
permission.

I don't know what this involved, nor do I know the details of what happened
while he was trying to do this but in the end he ended up building a shed
(which was legit), a greenhouse (which I'm not sure about - there may have
been another one too), and a bungalow which he built in a 20ft deep hollow
that he dug out by himself.

Again, I don't know details (the trial reports were in newspapers which were
not available on the open shelves having already been archived) but he
claimed that he was given a letter of permission and that one of the
councillors had helped him to lay out foundations for one of the greenhouses.
  However the council clearly seems to have considered his
bungalow illegal.  It was however not until after he had completed it (at
least the roof was complete) that they finally moved into demolish the
building.

The police apparently advised Harry Collinson to move in at night and take
Dryden by surprise.   However Collinson insisted that Dryden be told of the
exact day and hour of the arrival of the bulldozers, apparently so that he
could leave with dignity.   This, unfortunately, turned out to be a serious
error of honesty since Dryden, although surrounded by newspaper men, TV
cameras, video recorders and journalists (or perhaps because of this, I'm not
sure) met the councillor with a gun in hand and shot him several times at
point blank range.

The bungalow has now been demolished by Dryden's friends and relatives at his
own request.

*It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous*

Title first appeared in the Hawkwind Log, with *In Search of Space*.

*Alien 4*

Title presumably refers to the "Alien" film trilogy.
Alien (I Am) - includes sample from the *Star Trek: the Next Generation*
episode entitled "The Mind's Eye".  The voices heard are Lt.-Commander Data
(Brent Spiner) and the USS Enterprise computer (Majel Barrett).  The episode
is the one in which Geordi is "remote-controlled" by Romulan agents.
Kapal - text from Shakespeare's "Hamlet".

*Text of Festival*

Album title from Mick Farren's novel "The Texts of Festival".

Dave Brock and the Agents of Chaos

"Agent of Chaos" - 1967 novel by Norman Spinrad.

Pheeew!  Comments, additions, brickbats please!

- Andy