HW: PXR5 movie

Tom Marazita toad at ECI1.UCSB.EDU
Thu Mar 28 21:18:50 EST 1996

>             I think PXR5 was the title of a sci-fi movie that George Lucas made in
>     film school.  A lot stranger than his Star Wars movies, if I
>     remember correctly.
>     Brian

Is it possible you are confusing this with THX-1138, a movie
George Lucas made during film school (and later re-made
professionally).  It is readily available on video, and often
pops up on TV.

It is much stranger than the Star Wars films, and IMHO is well
worth watching.  Personally I'm not a big Lucas fan, but THX-1138
is good sci-fi.  Hawkwind *should* have a song about it since it
contains all of the important elements: technology beyond
peoples' control, dystopia, totalitarian government controlling
human lives (through drugs, no less -- by law, all citizens must
be sedated at all times), etc.  It stars Robert Duvall and Donald
Pleasance.

Tom

Tom Marazita            | Engineering Computing Infrastructure
                        | CCSE -- 3112 Engineering 1
toad at ucsb.edu           | University of California
Tel: 805 893-3221       | Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5120