HW: everything there is to know

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Sat Mar 30 04:50:17 EST 1996

On 29-MAR-1996 14:16:37.0 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >af17124; Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:39 +0000 (GMT)
   >Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:08:38 +0000 (GMT)
   >From: David Jones <david at MASTMOOR.DEMON.CO.UK>
   >Subject: Re: HW: everything there is to know
   >Sender: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
   >To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
   >Comments: RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last
   >occurrence was retained.
   >Some thoughts I hope its not too long a post - great idea for a project.
   >>
   >> *Doremi Fasol Latido*
   >The title is a play on the tonic solfa of course as in doh a dear etc
   >>
   >> *Hall of the Mountain Grill*
   >Title I imagine also refers to Hall of the Mountain King which I only
   >know as a piece of music by Grieg but I imagine is a Nordic legend
   >> *Space Ritual*
   >Orgone Accumulator
   >THis is also the subject of the Kate Bush song Cloudbustin.
   >If anyone is interested in Reich Id recommend Colin Wilsons biography
   >although its a very long time since I read it.
   >>
   >> *Warrior on the Edge of Time*
   >>
   >> Assault and Battery - the lines "Lives of great men... sands of
   >time" are > taken from a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
   >If I understand my Oxford book of quotations properly a poem called
   >Resignation
   >>
   >> *Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music*
   >Title and style of the sleeve advert designs and I think a lot of the
   >subject matter of the songs refers to the American science fiction
   >magazines Astounding and Amazing (Im not sure these are the full titles)
   >>
   >> Reefer Madness - title taken from circa 1940's anti-marijuana
   >propaganda fi lm
   >Louis Gasnier 1936 "One of the most absurdly earnest exercises in
   >paranoia youll ever have the good fortune to see" - the Time Out Film
   >Guide
   >>
   >> *Quark, Strangeness and Charm*
   >>
   >Spirit of the Age - as well as opening with some morse code also
   >contains a radio call signal (the snatch of music at the beginning) I
   >think it may be radio Albania but hopefully someone will know better
   >than me.
   >> Damnation Alley
   >Dont you think the structure of naming American towns parodies the
   >classic American road song like Route 66 or Promised Land.
   >> Quark, Strangeness and Charm
   >The six flavours of quark are Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Bottom and Top
   >Each flavour comes in three colours
   >Sorry if this is no longer correct its a very long time since I did my
   >degree.
   >>
   >> *Choose Your Masques*
   >>
   >> Fahrenheit 451 - title of book by Ray Bradbury, later filmed by
   >Francois > Truffaut.  The plot concerns the destruction of all printed
   >literature in a
   >> future totalitarian society; 451 degrees Fahrenheit is the
   >temperature at > which paper begins to burn.  The song lyrics are
   >based upon an existing poe m
   >> by Calvert.
> [...]

On Church, "The Fall Of Earth City" sure sounds like something from a book.
Anyone know? The instrumental "Mists Of Meridin" - what is "Meridin"? The
song sure conjures up some images, don't it?
"Over The Top" - I know I'm missing something here - "Hey, Kitchener - don't
you know that mustaches went out with the Beatles"? It's obvious that the
song basically refers to war, but... "gimme white feather", etc, etc..., I
don't know.
To me, the song (song??) "The Church" seems like a culmination of past,
present of future, all happening at once - sounds like an ancient indian
shaman or something, that wailing voice (past), the crowd chanting "Hawkwinf"
(present) and the spacey, high-tech keyboard (future).

Chuck
`[1;32;42mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive