OFF: Porcupine Tree discography

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Thu May 2 14:56:31 EDT 1996

>> * Tarquins Seaweed Farm (1989)
>
>Does the name 'Tarquin' have an origin from Monty Python?  The 'election'
>sketch, where the 'very silly party' candidate (who's name was something like,
>'Tarquin-fim-dim-lim-dim-wim-dim-bus-stop-f'tang-f'tang-ole-biscuit-barrell')
>wins out over the 'sensible party' incumbent.  Or is this also taken from
>somewhere else??  Just wondering.....it's a very funny sketch, BTW.

Tarqin-barrel was not a "very silly party" candidate, he was standard silly.
Dunno if the name came from him.   The independent very silly candidate
(whose name I will not attempt to reproduce here, save to say it ends in
'Smith') got two votes, thus costing an election to a standard silly
candidate, who lost to the sensible candidate by one vote.

They've been the origin of other band's names before, most notably "Toad the
Wet Sprocket"

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Chancellor                                            of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)