Another review of *Trepanation*

William Fuller fswof at AURORA.ALASKA.EDU
Thu May 2 18:14:32 EDT 1996

I realize I am taking a risk by saying this, especially considering that
the artist in question is a member of this list, but here goes...

On Thu, 2 May 1996, John A Swartz wrote:
> Frost's hottest
> vocal is found on their cover of "Ramblin' Rose," which she screams,
> snarls, stutters and growls in a manner that exudes raw sexuality.

I just don't hear the same thing a lot of other people do, I guess. I
personally do not like the Janis Joplin style shrieking on some songs.
This is just a personal observation, and it is not a dig against
Deborah's skill. I just find the style extremely distracting and less
than enjoyable. I prefer Al's vocals almost every time. When I played
Career of Christmas for a diehard BOC-fan friend of mine, he heard 30
seconds of "Career of Evil" and immediately said "Who is this?? They've
RUINED that song!!" I don't agree with this assessment (I think CoC kicks
ass), but I think part of the reason my friend was put off was when he
was expecting to hear Eric he heard Deb instead. Yes, her style is
different, and yes she has a right to define her own sound. And I do like
some of her stuff. But the shrieking, growling, snarling, etc. I could do
without...

> ...she comes off as overwrought.
> Happily, those moments are rare.

I agree with half of this. Overwrought, yes. Rare, no. Just my 2 cents
worth... From reading the list I assume most fans would disagree with me.
If means anything, I bought all 3 BS works and I plan to buy the next.

William Fuller   fswof at aurora.alaska.edu