Another review of *Trepanation*

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu May 2 19:10:22 EDT 1996

On Thu, 2 May 1996, William Fuller wrote:

> I realize I am taking a risk by saying this, especially considering that
> the artist in question is a member of this list, but here goes...

Nah, not taking a risk.  This isn't the AOL BOC folder... ;-)

> I agree with half of this. Overwrought, yes. Rare, no. Just my 2 cents
> worth... From reading the list I assume most fans would disagree with me.
> If means anything, I bought all 3 BS works and I plan to buy the next.

Well, I recall when _Eponymous_ first made its rounds on this list, Deb's
vocals came in for a bit of a drubbing.  They seem to have been an
"acquired taste" for several people, and I agree.  I don't mean this in a
bad way.  Deb's singing is not yer ordinary run-of-the-mill, which, for
me, is a big plus point.  She has a big range, both technically and
stylistically, IMHO, which is not usually the norm for the vocalists we're
used to in rock bands.  This is why she sounds "jarring" to some people.
After all, "rock vocalists" are not supposed to sound like this. :-)

Normally, the vocalist fulfils a purely narrative function, delivering the
"storyline" of the song to the listener, who integrates it into a coherent
neurosemantic experience along with the music.  Like other vocalists who
have a wide range (King Diamond springs to mind; another vocalist many
can't stomach), Deb's vocals become more of an additional *instrument*
than simply a narrative delivery device.  Like I said, we're not used to
this sort of thing in "rock music" so it doesn't exactly sit comfortably
with the listener on early listening, being outwith their experience and
expectations.  Some never get used to it.

Mind you, all this is from someone who listens to Tuvan throat singers,
so your mileage may vary... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Various, _Our Band Could Be Your Life_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.