Club Ninja: Lamest BOC album.

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon May 6 13:35:17 EDT 1996

> > dig Club Ninja out of the UPS box, getting home, cranking up the volume and
> > spinning the vinyl, only to be horribly disappointed: "Make Rock Not
> > War"???  What the hell was that all about?
> A tie for last place with 'Beat em Up?'

        I still maintain a perverse liking for "Beat 'Em Up" (compared to
the rest of CN, anyway).  I'm not really sure why!

> Ninja would be a good album if
> anyone other than BOC had released it.

        No, I gotta disagree ;)  Ninja lame no matter how ya slice it.
The _one_ track in my opinion from either RbN or CN that is not a
pretty fair embarrasment for BOC (fine, Perfect Water is a groovy Buck
pop song, but its not very BOCish IMHO ;) is "Take Me Away".  "TMA" is
actually quite good, I think.  The rest of it bites the great hairy
syphalitic ice weasel and that ain't no joke you can disappear in smoke ;)

> And there are a handful of
> decent songs on it--just don't compare it to Secret Treaties!

        Which reminds me to randomly defend the two _Bad Channels_ songs :)
No matter what shortcomings they have, they beat out anything from RBN
or CN (except "Take Me Away").  And I still maintain than stand up
fairly with the average BOC song from the past.  With "Astronomy"? No, not
with the _great_ BOC songs, but there in there with the fairly passable
ones, and definitely above some of the dodgy ones.
        And I'd say the same for the handful of new live songs.  It gives
one hope, if not exactly filling one to tip-top with confidence ;)

Cheers,
Carl