Not Trashing Eric- Honest!!!

Steve zaius at TELEPORT.COM
Tue May 7 02:19:38 EDT 1996

>No wonder Eric & Buck don't want to join us over here; some you are always
>trashing them...Club Ninja was great for that point in time, and
>Buck's Boogie is the most distiguishablly beautiful, fast, jazzy and rock-
>in' instrumental ever written.

I'm not sure Club Ninja was great, but it was certainly better than
"Winger"- remember that moron?  He's probably leading the band in a gay
dinner theatre right now.

>Perhaps if we take on a more positive approach, then we MAY get Eric, Buck
>and Al ALL on the list together.  Wouldn't that be cool?

I thought I said I liked Eric when I panned Club Ninja?  Well, just to
restate: I like Eric, but I thought Club Ninja was not that great.

Actually- having put the old thing on the turntable and given it another
listen after this back and forth, it seems to me that what I really hate
about Club Ninja is not the songs- it's the production!

Any thoughts on that? I worked in a studio as an engineer and I've played
in bands and I think I can say without serious contradiction that poor
production can ruin a good song as sure as a poorly placed turd can spoil a
punchbowl.
Club Ninja has that goddamn Bob Rock/Rupert Hine way too crisp let's all be
frigid-digital sound to it.  It's like a dentist's drill in my ears.  This
is why I like Led Zeppelin and the Smashing Pumpkins, but threw away my
80's heavy metal records (actually I gave them away to some High Fivin'
Mothers)- the production techniques popular in the 80's threw thebaby out
with the bathwater trying to make everything sound like a CD.
Neil Young can tell you why it didn't work in the last ish of Mondo 2000-
for anyone who can find that.

Steve P.

"As long as someone wields the whip, someone else will want to kiss it."
-G. Gordon Gordon