Club Ninja: Lamest BOC album.

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue May 7 08:39:05 EDT 1996

> Come to think of it, Al is the only songwriter I know of who, after
> 25+ years in the biz, hasn't "mellowed" (i.e. starting writing nothing
> but pop ballads).  (I haven't heard what Iommi's up to lately, so he
> might be the only other.)

        Hmmmm ... well, there's always Lemmy :) though it all depends on
when you start counting.  Motorhead formed in '75 so that's only 25
years, Lemmy's first "heavy" HW song was "Lost Johnny" ('74--first
HW song was "The Watcher" and mostly acoustic).
        The earliest Lemmy penned song which I think begins to sound
like the Lemmy we know and loathe :) was "Escalator" on the Sam Gopal
album of the same name.  On the other hand, many of Lemmy's other songs
on that album were rather cheesy pop love songs :) so perhaps he's gotten
heavier!

        Ian Anderson (Tull) still turns out material that's comparable
with what he was doing all those years ago, though Tull was seldom as
heavy as Sabbath, Lemmy-era-Hawkwind/Motorhead!

> Well, the songwriting on old BOC albums was split between Al, Joe, and
> Buck.  I think Eric wrote about what, one song every 3 albums, and Alan
> maybe one song per album?  Now they've got Buck, who, by all reports,
> wants to write pop music, and Alan and Eric haven't written anything
> since the 80's.

        This is the real problem Buck faces as primo songwriter in the
current BOC--he's a brilliant rock/metal guitar player trapped in the
body of a pop-song writer ;)  Worse than that, his brand of pop isn't
currently in vogue!

> Well, there's "Perfect Water",which is a truly sublime piece of
> guitar-rock, if you can ignore the silly part of the lyrics.  "And
> slowly sink/ And slowly think"?

        I just haven't warmed to "Perfect Water".  The guitar work
is great, as always, even the makings of the song are pretty good, but
the sound and production kill me.

Cheers,
Carl