TRASHING GETS OLD

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue May 7 09:22:04 EDT 1996

> No wonder Eric & Buck don't want to join us over here; some you are always
> trashing them!!

        I dunno--I think some of their material gets well-deserved
criticism.  I don't think anyone trashes them on the "good" stuff.
And I don't think it's trashing Buck to say he writes pop-songs, even
if I don't particularly _like_ pop-songs.

        CN and  RBN deservedly get a panning.  I mean, they're just not
terribly good in comparison to most of the BOC output.  They aren't
terribly good in comparison to the new material either.  It was a bad
patch.
        And the band's attitude towards label contracts and recording
as been strictly cloud-cuckoo-land territory for a long time, as far
as anyone can tell.

        That's not trashing, it's legitimate complaint and criticism, even
if it is simplistic.

> Remember, it's all about the music, and BOC have no "bad" music as some
> of you keep stating here.  Club Ninja was great for that point in time, and
> Buck's Boogie is the most distiguishablly beautiful, fast, jazzy and rock-
> in' instrumental ever written.

        I agree on Buck's Boogie--I really like it.  I bought _CC_
to hear a nice clean version of "BB".  Not as fiery as some of the live
versions, but overall a better recording.

        I have to disagree on CN.  I think "good" and "bad" have to be
subjective, so really what I'm saying is that CN did not match my
expectations of what normally attracts me to BOC.  Fair enough--artists
live and die on subjective opinions from their fans, so they may as well
tune in :)

        Those albums were IMH and very subjective O, pretty grim :)
If an artist wants to get steamed about my opinion of an album they
recorded a decade back (slightly more than "half my life" ;) then I
think they need a longer view ;)
        On the other hand, I think the new material (what we've heard of
it) is much stronger, and the sound is better.  That certainly isn't
trashing anyone.

> Perhaps if we take on a more positive approach, then we MAY get Eric, Buck
> and Al ALL on the list together.  Wouldn't that be cool?

        That would, admittedly, be pretty damn cool.  I'm not sure
how we could prevent thermonuclear war from erupting between Deb and
Eric ;) but life is full of problems ;)

Cheers,
Carl