Satriani & Buck

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue May 7 20:21:45 EDT 1996

Manuel observes:
> Gumby Man;
>
> Your point is well taken regarding Satriani.  However, Satriani's career
> really began to take off when Buck helped him out with the Imaginos thing,
> And Satriani has cited Buck as an influence and as a very professional
> musicain.

I thought Al had already gotten the Guitar Army of Imaginos together
before the BOC got involved with the project?

> But really, can you compare Satriani's style with Buck's?  They are both
> extremely talented guitar players, but not really along the same styles,
> wouldn"t you say?
>
> Manuel

I've said it here a hundred times, so now I'll start on the second
hundred:  Satriani, Vai an yes [although I actually like him and hate
to say it] Gary Hoey and throw in that obnoxious little wanker Yngwie
[sp.?] are not musicians, they are olympic athletes.  They, and their
fans are obsessed with the speed with which they play, and,
seemingly, little else.  None of those guys will ever write SONGS.
They write fance guitar licks.  Never expect a haunting ballad like
Reaper from any of those dudes.  Can they play guitar well?
Undeniably.  They could all smoke BD at a jam session.  So what?
Until any of them write a complete song with great lyrics, a concept,
whatever, they just don't belong with an artist like Buck.  How come
none of you shred heads ever mention the only guy of that ilk who is
a complete musician:  Steve Stevens.  He can shred with the best of
them, but he knows how to make SONGS.  Compare 'Atomic Playboys' with
anything Vai et al have done.  STeve's got the studio acumen and the
monster chops.  And he knows what NOT to play, a concept most of
those post-big hair guys never grasp.  And please, any discussion of
Vai or Satch can't escape those dreadful lyrics.  Both those dudes
should take their mentor Zappa's advice:  shut up and play yer guitar!
theo