BOC: DFTR Part #1...

Douglas A Mitchell DwnTheMtn at AOL.COM
Wed May 8 03:09:28 EDT 1996

Responded to a rather obtuse post on AOL recently,
regarding the "meaning" of the legendary '(Don't Fear)
the Reaper'.  This is Part One, and the subsequent
sections are VERY conclusive.  You'll see... =)

The following is my original text:

I've always felt that this song had alot more to do with grief & loss
than any morbid obsession with death or suicide.  If anything, it is
positive in it's affirmation that our loved ones do await us in the
afterlife, and that it's not such a bad place after all...

A woman is dealing with the loss of a loved one, likely a husband
or lover, and is despondent.  "All our times have come, here but now
they're gone", reflects this clearly.  In her dreams, she is visited again
& again by her lost partner, urging her to let go of her fear of death, and
join him on the other side.  "Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor the wind,
the sun or the rain", and the verse lines sung by Buck "Come on, baby -
Baby, take my hand - We'll be able to fly - Baby, I'm your man" show us
her recurring dream...

The second verse builds on the first verse, adding a second metaphor
to support the first.  "Valentine is done - Here but now they're gone",
shows us again that her memories of the past are weighing her down.
"Romeo and Juliet - Are together in eternity" gives us our first positive
look at the afterlife, as we all know Romeo & Juliet are quite possibly
the world's most famous star-crossed lovers.  Joined again in the after-
life, this is giving us a glimpse of a tragedy, with a happy ending.
"Redefine happiness" takes this thought full circle, forcing us to recon-
sider the concept of death, as not an ending, but a beginning...

"Came the last night of sadness - And it was clear she couldn't go on"
places us with her in her final moments, as she accepts death not as
the end, but a transition to another place, where she can finally rejoin
her loved one.  "Come on, baby - And she ran to him - They looked
backward and said goodbye - She had taken his hand" carries her
away into the next world, where "She had become like they are"...

It's unfortunate that so many people, over the years, have never
been able to get over the song's title. Take a step away from the
preconceived notions you've been force fed about death & the
afterlife, and the interpretation *might* make sense...

This is just my take on the lyric, and granted, I am but one
loyal listener who likes to read into the possible metaphor.
Before you tear it to pieces, please read Part #2... =)

"The Snowman"           _?_     Tuned in to life's essentials...
Douglas A. Mitchell        I         Skiing, Backpacking, & the
                                                mighty Blue Oyster Cult!
Home:  dwnthemtn at aol.com
Office:  dmitch at microscan.com         WE UNDERSTAND...

"They're OK the last days of May, but I'll be breathin' dry air,
I'm leaving soon, the others are already there...Wouldn't be
interested in coming along, instead of staying here?  It said
the West is nice this time of year, that's what they say."

                                       --- Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser