BD/VH connection?

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed May 8 10:52:51 EDT 1996

Snowman on my ravings:

> >Kiss planted the virus, but, sadly, Van Halen turned it into a
> >pandemic, which, given Ed's monumental talents, is a crying
> >shame.  If they'd only fired Dave BEFORE they made it big
> >and gotten a real lyricist...who knows, but, although I like a
> >lot about him, it appears they've rpeated the mistake with
> >Sammy.  I guess we shouldn't expect Ed to play BOC
> >songs, if he's happy being a giant party band
>
> I have always, when discussing music with knowledgable friends,
> maintained that I am waiting for the day that Mr. Van Halen finally
> locks the doors to 5150, and puts his best thoughts "down digital."
>
> Here's an interesting note:
>
> I have it on very good authority that the Buckster's favorite
> contemporary guitarist is - you guessed it - Eddie.  Now
> THAT would be a great album!  Buck & Eddie doing duet...

Wow!  That kind of shocks me.  I've always figured Buck to be on of
the more cerebral musicians in rock--that's likely one of the reasons
that always drew me to his music.  And Ed is, well, Ed!  Great
musician, but not too much going on upstairs.  Before the outraged
flaming begins, let me state for the record that Ed is one of my
gods, and I don't care if he has churned out a lot of fluff.  If he
never made another record, he'd be one of the greatest simply on the
strength of the 1st album [which, sadly, I don't believe he's ever
approached, except in glimpses, since].  But, as many recent
observations re CN have borne out, BD has a strong pop streak in him,
and that is the connection to VH.  Ed is a pop musician who happens
to play incredible over-the top gtr.  VH has always impressed me as a
great party band that can't decide if it wants to be a rave-up rocker
act or pop-ballad group.  I think since Dave's departure, the party-
band persona has taken over...
theo