Satriani & Buck

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed May 8 10:57:36 EDT 1996

John on my rant:
> >Satriani, Vai an yes [although I actually like him and hate
> to say it] Gary Hoey and throw in that obnoxious little wanker Yngwie
> [sp.?] are not musicians, they are olympic athletes.  They, and their
> fans are obsessed with the speed with which they play, and,
> seemingly, little else.  None of those guys will ever write SONGS.
> They write fance guitar licks.  Never expect a haunting ballad like
> Reaper from any of those dudes.  Can they play guitar well?
> Undeniably.  They could all smoke BD at a jam session.  So what?
> Until any of them write a complete song with great lyrics, a concept,
> whatever, they just don't belong with an artist like Buck.
>

> Well, I don't think lyrics are a requirement for a good song.  I'm not
> trying to defend Satriani, or get into a discussion on his talent vs.
> Buck's, but I listen to alot of his stuff (and recently saw him in
> concert), and IMHO it's great MUSIC.  Then again, my wife always laughs
> at me because I often when listening to the radio may not know the
> words, but I'll be whistling the guitar solo! - so perhaps lyrics were
> never what impressed me about music (I'm too clueless to figure out
> the meanings of alot of them anyways).
>
> John
> John,
glad you read my whole post!  I own just about every album Vai ans
Satch have put out. [Nothing from Yngwiem thanks!]  And I'll say
again, that they are great PLAYERS.  And I like to listen to them
quite a bit from time to time.  Comparing them to songwriters like
Buck or craftsmen like Steve Stevens is an apples vs oranges
proposition.  They are all good at what they do, but it isn't really
the same thing.
theo