Glastonbury dates ?

Rob Stuckey etlrbsy at ETLXDMX.ERICSSON.SE
Wed May 8 22:16:58 EDT 1996

> >Bad news. Glastonbury isn't happening this year. Sorry.
>
>         I remember someone mentioning this some time ago.
> Could someone briefly explai why it has been cancelled?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martyn

   Apparantly, Michael Avis was a bit freaked out by the number of
  people who got in last year by climbing over/breaking down the
  perimeter fence. I can't remember what the exact figure was, but
  I heard that something like 160 people suffered broken
  arms/legs/ankles/etc from climbing up one side and jumping down
  the other.
   He says that he felt it was getting out of control.

   In todays Melody Maker it said that he is applying for an
  extension to is license of 20,000 which means next year's festival
  may have a capacity of 100,000. Apparantly local farmers, who have
  lost a lot of money over the BSE scare, have missed the extra
  income from renting out their land for the festival.
   Also he is standing as a candidate for the labour party for the
  Wells constituency at the next general election, so I presume he
  needed time to do whatever candidates for general elections do.

       bye - Rob