CN/RBN

Tox tox at WJH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu May 9 00:23:23 EDT 1996

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Ted O. Jackson wrote:

> Tox:
>
> > That said, my own choice for Lamest Ever has to go to RBN, but for
> > reasons of personal choice. CN is a rock album; it's just a bad rock
> > album. RBN is dedicated to an 80's pop-ish style that I have no liking
> > for whatsoever. Take Me Away is worth the price of a used CD just by
> > itself, but the remainder of the album, even though it may technically be
> > "excellent standard-cut '80s pop", is still never going to sustain my
> > interest.
> >
> > och, vell,    -tox
> Why so hating of RBN?  Personally, I liked it a lot [at least some of
> it].  I thought Take Me Away, Shadow of California [lots of good
> humor in that one] Dragon Lady, Feel the Thunder [I'm partial to
> Biker songs, I admit.  I even liked Wings of MErcury] were truly good
> songs.  Granted, the rest is sub-standard, but at least listenable.
> theo

Again, my beef with RBN is due more to my own tastes than to objective
quality. I will concede that the humor in SoC is worthwhile, but
otherwise the songs on RBN may well be sterling representatives of that
particular style of music, but it's not a style that has ever appealed to me.

Which is odd, come to think of it, since I'm rather fond of Mirrors, the
other big " leaning towards pop" album. I suppose it's because the tracks
on Mirrors retain either the undercurrent power ("The Vigil") and/or
straightforward energy ("The Great Sun Jester") that marks all really
good BOC, but which seemed to peter out in RBN after the first track.

Sprinkle loads of IMO's through the preceding text, of course, but maybe
others will empathise with the impressions I got...