BD/VH connection?

Douglas A Mitchell DwnTheMtn at AOL.COM
Thu May 9 02:31:51 EDT 1996

Theo:

>>I have always, when discussing music with knowledgable friends,
>>maintained that I am waiting for the day that Mr. Van Halen finally
>>locks the doors to 5150, and puts his best thoughts "down digital."

>>Here's an interesting note:

>>I have it on very good authority that the Buckster's favorite
>>contemporary guitarist is - you guessed it - Eddie.  Now
>>THAT would be a great album!  Buck & Eddie doing duet...

>Wow!  That kind of shocks me.  I've always figured Buck to be on of
>the more cerebral musicians in rock--that's likely one of the reasons
>that always drew me to his music.  And Ed is, well, Ed!  Great
>musician, but not too much going on upstairs.  Before the outraged
>flaming begins, let me state for the record that Ed is one of my
>gods, and I don't care if he has churned out a lot of fluff.  If he
>never made another record, he'd be one of the greatest simply on the
>strength of the 1st album [which, sadly, I don't believe he's ever
>approached, except in glimpses, since].  But, as many recent
>observations re CN have borne out, BD has a strong pop streak in him,
>and that is the connection to VH.  Ed is a pop musician who happens
>to play incredible over-the top gtr.  VH has always impressed me as a
>great party band that can't decide if it wants to be a rave-up rocker
>act or pop-ballad group.  I think since Dave's departure, the party-
>band persona has taken over...

It rather shocked me as well, when I first heard it.  But your
observations are right on the same path that my thoughts took.
Both are 'gifted' musicians and artists, with the ability to transcend
the mechanics of the sport & make just plain impressive music...

Their collective propensity for 'pop' oriented music doesn't diminish
this for me, as I can't ever get enough of Buck's solo work.  'Flat Out'
is alot of fun, and 'Summa Cum Laude' & 'Gamera Is Missing' are just
TOO cool to dismiss as anything short of genius.  After months of
lobbying Buck (along with a few others), he let on about three or four
months that something was in the works 'in the home studio', and he
just needed a bit of time to get it finished up.  I don't expect it will be
available at your corner record store, but I'm sure word of it's coming
will reach everyone here... =)

I can't wait...

"The Snowman"           _?_     Tuned in to life's essentials...
Douglas A. Mitchell        I         Skiing, Backpacking, & the
                                                mighty Blue Oyster Cult!
Home:  dwnthemtn at aol.com
Office:  dmitch at microscan.com         WE UNDERSTAND...

"They're OK the last days of May, but I'll be breathin' dry air,
I'm leaving soon, the others are already there...Wouldn't be
interested in coming along, instead of staying here?  It said
the West is nice this time of year, that's what they say."

                                       --- Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser