More 80's/90's segue-ing into BOC/HW

Steve zaius at TELEPORT.COM
Thu May 9 11:34:26 EDT 1996

Tim (Bart?) (bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK) said:
>Certainly the malaise Steve speaks about seemed a far more American thing. Over
>here, the media treats anything remotely heavy with utter contempt anyway, so
>large-hair bands hardly made a dent. Probably the opposite in fact, in the eyes
>of joe public. Start listening to Styper, might end up liking Nuclear Assault.
>Stranger things have happened.

Yes- I imagine that might be true- Being from Britain, you might remember
Bad News?  My favourite 80's Metal band from Europe.
In the 80s I got fed up with "metal", (aside from Metallica, and of course
Bad News) and delved into roots blues and stuff like Traffic, Hawkwind,
Jack Bruce, and Bill Frissell and found myself completely ready for Nirvana
and the Pixies.  I appreciated the fact that Guns/Roses showed it was OK to
be heavy and not play Bach etudes at 100 km/hr...I got really sick of the
Yngwie Malmsteen stuff.

Throughout it all, I liked BOC (not discovering Hawkwind until relatively
recently), but interestingly
enough, I never paid any attention to their earlier stuff until the
grunge/punk revival thing came around- the early BOC stuff actually fits
more into that genre than it did with the early '70s, which is why I get so
disappointed that BOC doesn't seem to live up to their potential to make a
sort of underground comeback...Have things come full circle?  Or have I
once again gone on a completely insane tangent?

Steve Phillips

"As long as someone wields the whip, someone else will want to kiss it."
-G. Gordon Gordon