HW: tenuous links

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Thu May 9 16:18:18 EDT 1996

CHOMP!

> while talking hawkwind & toys, one can always mention Masters of the
> Universe, Elric/Stormbringer on the cover to the (at least swedish) Dragons
> & Dungeons box - and this little conversation I had with a toy store in
> California a few months back, after an Alta Vista scan for HW:
> toy:  Air Raiders Hawkwind & Twin Lightning Set   mib $35.
>
> joe:  can you please tell me - an old Hawkwind fan - what
> joe:  this HW stuff is about.
>
> toy:  Its one of the best sets I have seen. Its great for all
> toy:  ages. The trouble is I Sold it last week to a 30 year old.
> toy:  How old is the list you saw ?
>
> joe:  The list was about mid January, but I got no hurry.
> joe:  What is a "Air Raider Hawkwind"?
> joe:  is there a serie out with the name "Hawkwind"
> joe:  if so, how many different articles? what price range?
>
> toy:  Air Raiders was a toy line from the 1980s that died
> toy:  It was a great line but anything without a cartoon show
> toy:  dies. The HAWKWIND was an airplane from the line.
>

> \\joe

The nasty thing is that my eldest song got this toy when he was about
3 years old. I think that there may be a bit of it with the Hawkwind
sticker still on it somewhere in a toybox somewhere...kinda reminds me
of the front cover to HotMG :-) :-/

The Air Raiders claim-to-fame was that they relied on air power to activate
the various weapons/features. A rubber/plastic bulb (suitably embelleshed to
look "spacey") was the source of air, which was routed out thru plastic tubes
to launch rockets, propel vehicles, etc. Squeeze the bulb and look out,
aliens!!

AJ's (my son) set came from one of the toy liquidators, just in case you
might want to try one of those places for one (none of the ones around
Atlanta have any of the series, but hey, ya never know...)

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400
-------mmmmmmm- Atlanta, GA 30342      (404) 845-3404