OFF: Doctor Who on Fox!?!

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Tue May 14 09:28:23 EDT 1996

>There have been ads running during the sweeps for a movie premier showing
>this Tuesday of "Doctor Who"---on Fox of all stations!  It stars Paul
>McGann as The Doctor, and I hear that Sylvester McCoy has a cameo.  I was
>wondering if this was being made in collaboration with the BBC??  Who
>wrote the script?  Is it being shown in the UK?  Since Fox is a Murdoch
>organ, maybe it will surface on Sky?
>
>Going by the trailers, it looks more "hollywood skiffy epic" than Dr.
>Who.  I can't really see Dr. Who translating very well across the Atlantic
>for a general audience over here.  Oh well, I guess I'll see tomorrow...

I don't think the BBC had much to do with it.  This thing has been floating
around for a time, long rumored to be rumor.  Amblin entertainment
had it for awhile, then some other group...  I'm surprised it came
to be, actually.  But I'll definitely be watching...

I saw about fifteen minutes of it on a local channel without sound
effex, it seemed very 'hollywood', it had a very long car chase
scene, and what appeared to be a romantic interest.
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Chancellor                                            of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)