Other: Big Buck CD Players

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Tue May 14 11:49:00 EDT 1996

>ObAside: Is anyone up on CD units in the L200 - L300 range? Comments
>appreciated on what's worth buying.

>FoFP

Here's the deal as I understand it.  Once you made the leap to CDs, you got
95% or more of the improvement.   I was looking into this question myself.
 I don't know what specific machines you're looking at, so I'll speak in
generalities.  You can get better D/A converters, more oversampling, multi
disc handling, and other user features like programing.   Whether these are
worth the money is a personal choice.   However, you may not hear any
difference at all in how the discs play and sound.  If that is your intent,
go listen to several with headphones of yours and a disc you know well.
 Don't take something obscure like that Hawkwang I hear tell of.  Then
compare to something in the range of what you have.  I've done this and got
very interested in speakers.  I've also read audio fanzine articles that
reach the same conclusion.

Ironically, some of the more exotic units have more trouble reading discs
than cheaper ones.   If you really want to improve sound, the speakers are
still the best place to attack.

Rudy