Other: Big Buck CD Players

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Tue May 14 19:38:46 EDT 1996

> > than cheaper ones.   If you really want to improve sound, the speakers are
> > still the best place to attack.
>
> Well, I disagree with this,

For the record (sic), so do I.

> Btw, FoFP, there is a "Good Sound for Less Bucks" (or something like
> that) FAQ that is posted to the rec.audio hierarchy.

This FAQ is virtually useless outside North America.  Perhaps it's not
so bad for CD players, but a British hi-fi mag would be a better start.
For amps and speakers it is literally useless, as there is little American
hi-fi available over here and little British hi-fi available over there
(and both are at inflated prices relative to the home-produced stuff).

Incidentally, y'all seem to underestimate the cost of "high-end",
"big bucks" CD players.  You can easily spend a grand on the transport
and a grand on the DAC, if you are so inclined.   My L500 machine is
the *bottom* of the manufacturer's range.

Dave.