Other: Big Buck CD Player & 1 Life, please - to go

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Tue May 14 14:47:33 EDT 1996

Rudich, Robert A writes:

> >Too true.  I went to a big electronics store (one in Buffalo called
> >Stereo Advantage, that had a room with literally about 60 models of
> >CD players), and I took with me a set of headphones whose sound I
> >was familiar with, and a number of my favorite CDs.
>
> A real good time in Buffalo (no beer and wings?),

They wouldn't allow them in the store.  ;-)

> you do need a life.   I
> couldn't resist tying threads and I grew up in the Queen city myself.

Hey, that was about as good as life got in Buffalo.  Aside from that,
the only thing to do was hang around starting mailing lists for bands
20 years past their heyday.

> ObHW:   I thought I remembered something mentioned here about the lineup for
> the Toronto 90 gig being different, maybe somebody other than Richard on
> drums.   Is this so or more lost brain cells?

I didn't catch the Toronto gig, and I when I saw them in
St. Catherines, I knew the band well enough to recognise Brock and
Davey, but not the drummer.

It was kind of funny, it was mostly a Motorhead crowd in the Hideaway
Club (who had probably been drawn by the radio ads which empohasized
the Lemmy connection).  Through some of the spacy/ambient stuff, they
looked kind of lost (though they were pretty polite about it, unlike
some metalhead crowds I've seen).  That part of the crowd looked like
it was kind of ambivalent, right up until the closing number.  As the
final encore, they played "Hassan I Sabha"; mid tempo - crushingly
heavy.  The crowd got really into it, even the guys playing pool put
down their sticks and came over to listen (or join the mini-mosh up
front).  It was one of those wild, exhilarating experiences, everybody
was still chanting "Hashish, Hashish, Hashish, Hashishin!" as we
exited the club, past the rather befuddled cops outside...  ;-)

Steve