Other: Big Buck CD Players

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue May 14 15:43:33 EDT 1996

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Dave Berry wrote:

> > Btw, FoFP, there is a "Good Sound for Less Bucks" (or something like
> > that) FAQ that is posted to the rec.audio hierarchy.
>
> This FAQ is virtually useless outside North America.  Perhaps it's not
> so bad for CD players, but a British hi-fi mag would be a better start.

I agree.  But, like you say, it should be of some use for CD players
which, I think, cross the Atlantic a little better.

> For amps and speakers it is literally useless, as there is little American
> hi-fi available over here and little British hi-fi available over there
> (and both are at inflated prices relative to the home-produced stuff).

Tell me about it!  It's very frustrating where I live; there are no hi-fi
dealers (or none I've found).  They're all big "consumer electronics"
outlets that sell the popular-name japanese brands.  Nobody even stocks
the yank hi-fi stuff.  Pshaw!

Cheers,

Paul "used to live in striking distance of three Linn approved dealers" Mather

obCD: The Brain Surgeons, _Eponymous_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.