Other: Big Buck CD Players

Douglas A Mitchell DwnTheMtn at AOL.COM
Wed May 15 01:50:05 EDT 1996

Frank:

>I have a Carver single-bit CD player and I am extremely happy with it.
>I don't remember the model number, but it is the one with the non-tube
>output filter stage.  I think that Carver's "Digital Time Lens" processor
>sounds excellent and I tend to leave it on all the time.

Now there's a flashback.  I was reading this thread, and avoiding the
inevitable, when I read the above.  Dear God, I spent two years @
Carver after school, in the Service department, and have a few horror
stories to tell about the early efforts in the CD player market...

(Read:  The DTL-50, 100, & 200...esp. the 100, what a nightmare)

I *personally* realigned several hundred DTL-100's, more than once.
Don't even say the words "eye pattern!"  The digital revolution has
spawned many a wonderful product, and many an audiophile will
swear that they can tell the difference between 0.01 & 0.02 THD,
but I have yet to notice at that level, after years of trying... =)

Still love that "mushy" tube sound though, as long as the SP is
just right.  Can anyone say 'Silver Seven?'

"The Snowman"           _?_     Tuned in to life's essentials...
Douglas A. Mitchell        I         Skiing, Backpacking, & the
                                                mighty Blue Oyster Cult!
Home:  dwnthemtn at aol.com
Office:  dmitch at microscan.com         WE UNDERSTAND...

"They're OK the last days of May, but I'll be breathin' dry air,
I'm leaving soon, the others are already there...Wouldn't be
interested in coming along, instead of staying here?  It said
the West is nice this time of year, that's what they say."

                                       --- Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser