Other: Big Buck CD Players

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Wed May 15 10:11:44 EDT 1996

> > > Well, I disagree with this,
> > For the record (sic), so do I.
>
> I fail to understand how this can even be a point of contention.  I've
> heard $1500 CD players, and when you close your eyes, they sound about
> 5% better than my $150 Sony.

To clarify: I agree that the improvement in CD players rapidly gets less
as the price increases.  The difference between L100 and L200 is clear;
that between L200 and L500 is much smaller (especially for rock music;
I think the differences are more noticeable with a choir or orchestra).

I don't agree that speakers are necessarily the best place to attack;
I think that upgrading the amplifier(s) is just as effective.  The
difference between a L500 Cyrus 3 and the same machine with a L300
outboard power supply is clear; moving to a L900 Naim pre/power combo
is obvious again.  I would expect to hear clear differences in moving
from that to an AudiolabQ/M set-up (or equivalent).

Dave.