OFF: Trainspotting

gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK
Mon May 20 18:01:21 EDT 1996

>Boy, I get bored easily when the BOC-L tide ebbs :-).  Any way,
>to mention something off topic, I just started reading a book
>called Trainspotting by Irvin Welsh (sp?).  I highly recommend it
>to members of the list (but not to the sqeamish).  It describes
>the lives of some folk living in Edinburgh including some junkies
>and psychos.  My favorite part so far is where the hero (undergoing
>heroin withdrawal) has to retrieve his opium suppositories from
>a full toilet in the back of a bookies
>
>Martyn
>
>Ob tenuous boc-l connection:  I wander if any of our Edinburgh
>list members know any of the characters in the book :-)

Well I have found myself near to a few Begbie's!
  I live in Edinburgh, and it's gotta be said the book is pretty accurate.
So much of it made me laugh just 'cos I'd been in those situations (though
the one you mention  is *not* one of them!!).
  There's been the usual complaints up here from people who are annoyed that
the book's too close to home. "Damaging the image of our fair city" and all
that rubbish. As far as I'm concerned, it's merely doing a good job of
reflecting reality...and is great read too! Ken what ah fuckin mean, likesay?

Dave