BBC Transcription Disc for sale! [via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed May 22 17:01:52 EDT 1996

Johan Edlundh writes:

> >> Hmmm.  I rather thought there were only 2 of them made, and that
> >> half of those were owned by list members.  ;-)
> >
> >I'd heard there were 24 of the disc that was bootlegged onto "Space Rock
> >From London". I have one of those. As far as the BBC disk with two Brian
> >Matthews shows on it, containing the live '72 "Silver Machine" and
> >"Brainstorm", mine is the only copy I've ever heard of.
>
> what else does the Brian Matthews LP contain?

I think the other things of interest were Bowie and Pretty Things. Can't
remember the tracks.

> how does the both vinyl covers do look like?

Just plain yellow covers though with the BM one I have the BBC cover note
for the district radio station.

> the labels?

I can't remember but I think they're either plain white or yellow.

Of the BBC disks that I know about. A friend of Rainer in Germany has one,
Mike Coleman has one, Dave Brock has one, and I have one which used to
be Trev Hughes. There oughta be another 20 if the legends are correct
but it's unknown how many made it out of the BBC warehouses. At a guess,
some technicians at the local stations "rescued" copies knowing that
they'd be rarities later rather than returning them. The BBC now claim
to have destroyed their 1972 archives although it's not known if this
included audio recordings.

However it would include the video recording of a Hawkwind concert done for
Top of The Pops to show Silver Machine. There are rumours that a fan has
a copy of this and was in negotiation with Doug Smith about it.

> \\joe

FoFP