Rough guide to rock

M R Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Fri May 24 11:44:19 EDT 1996

I was slightly disappointed when I saw the 'Rough Guide to Rock' that,
while they like the early albums (notably the 1st 2), the rest are
dismissed:

"With "Spectres" (CBS 1978) the band commenced a slow limp towards self
parody. If early albums traded on enigma, then "R.U. Ready to Rock" was as
dumb and obvious as its title suggests.  Since the high water mark of the
first four studio albums, the Blue Oyster Cult continued to peddle the
same formula with diminishing returns.  The occasional track stands out -
such as "Death Valley Nights" from "Spectres", or "Joan Crawford" from
"Fire of Unknown Origin" (CBS 1981) - but generally the band have been
content to pander to the feeble sci-fi obsessions and demented Biker
cliches of their largely conservative fan base".

If anyone has any comments on this contemptuous summary (not even a
mention of 'Cultosaurus'!), why not e-mail them: rock at roughtravl.co.uk?

- Mike (feeble, conservative and demented) Godwin